Work With Us
Meadows School is a successful Non-Maintained day and residential special school run by Barnardo's. Meadows School works with students aged 7-19. There is a Junior Campus (in Tunbridge Wells) for 7-11 year old students. Students aged 11-16 are on the main campus and the post-16 provision (students aged 16-19) is also on the main site some 400m from the main school. All students have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) for Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs. The main campus is sited in Southborough between the towns of Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells.
Speech and Language Therapist (SaLT)
Two days per week, flexible hours, term time only
The school roll is expanding and consequently we require a new team member in order to keep waiting times for the SLT service to a minimum. You will be supported by an experienced Speech and Language Therapist, and will be an integral part of the school’s Wellbeing Services Team (including SLT, Clinical Psychology, Counselling, OT and support staff). However, you will need to demonstrate autonomy and the ability to work independently.
The role will entail:
- Working with a caseload of vulnerable young people with a range of different speech, language and communication needs
- Assessment, planning and intervention, in a dynamic manner
- Working flexibly and effectively in challenging situations and demonstrating patience, tolerance, humour and resilience
- Collaborating with staff throughout the school in order to best support students’ communication needs
- Providing young people with consistency, enhancing their well-being and feelings of safety
Visits to the school are encouraged. In the first instance please contact Helen Gamble (SaLT) at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01892 529144 for an informal discussion
Occupational Therapist (OT)
One day per week, flexible hours, term time only
Meadows School is looking to recruit an Occupational Therapist at band 6-7 (pro-rata). The role will be to provide the OT provision indicated in students’ Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs), support staff to make referrals for those students who may need OT assessments and advise the school about how the environment can support learning and well-being. The OT will be part of the Wellbeing Services Team which includes a Clinical Psychologist, Counsellor, Cognitive-Behavioural Therapist and Speech and Language Therapists. The well-being team is works closely with the education and care teams.
The Therapist will need to be flexible in their approach to ensure that they meet the individual needs of the students and have prior experience of working with SEMH pupils.
For an informal discussion or to arrange a visit please contact Dr Jo Chester at email@example.com on 01892 529144.
Meadows School provides excellent opportunities for all staff to gain new skills and develop professionally.
- 'Buddy' system for new starter staff
- Free fantastic lunches
- Free on-site parking
- Ongoing CPD and opportunities for progression
- Supportive, friendly staff team
- Small class sizes
- Teaching staff can be part of the Teacher Pension Scheme
Salary and leave
- Salary is paid in arrears in 12 equal instalments on the 23rd of each month. Salaries are normally reviewed annually.
- Pension Scheme: Barnardo’s offers a 4% or 6% matched contribution to our Group Personal Pension. For those that pay into the pension they will be provided with death in service cover of 4 times annual earnings.
- Enhanced maternity pay for eligible employees at 50% of weekly pay for 12 weeks, plus 39 weeks’ Statutory Maternity Pay. The right to take up to 52 weeks maternity leave is available to all pregnant employees.
- Enhanced adoption pay for eligible employees at 50% of weekly pay for 12 weeks, plus 39 weeks’ Statutory Adoption Pay. The right to take up to 52 weeks leave is available to employees adopting a child.
- Fostering Leave: up to 52 weeks for new foster parents fostering on a long term basis and fostering pay for eligible employees.
- Support Leave: 2 weeks’ leave for partners to be taken on or around the time of birth/adoption/fostering. Parental Leave: eligible employees are entitled to 18 weeks unpaid leave to be taken by the child’s 18th birthday
- Shared Parental Leave: eligible employees can share up to a maximum of 50 weeks leave and 37 weeks’ pay following the birth/adoption of child.
- Sickness Absence: Barnardo’s is required to make statutory sickness payments (SSP) where staff qualify. We also have our own discretionary sick pay scheme, including full pay for a period subject to certain conditions.
- Work life balance - Barnardo’s offers a number of policies to help employees achieve a greater work life balance including flexible working.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP): is a health and wellbeing benefit available to Barnardo’s employees. It offers access to a variety of confidential services including telephone and online counselling and legal and financial information services.
- Cycle to Work Scheme: buy a bike and/or safety equipment up to £1,000 on a tax efficient basis for the purpose of going to and from work.
- Equality, Diversity & Inclusion: We have four networks (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic, Disability, LGBT and Women) which are open to all and provide support to those that identify with them.
- There are more than 5000 discounts and deals to be found on our staff benefits platform, including discount cinema tickets and reloadable store cards.
- Barnardo’s Shops offer employees a 20% discount
- Choice Discount Stores: 10% off all merchandise
- Merlin Entertainments: big discounts available e.g. Alton Towers, Legoland
- Discount holidays and breaks at locations across the UK
- Hotel accommodation: stay at a number of hotels in UK at a discount rate
Job vacancies are advertised on Barnardo's website - to view the latest vacancies please look here.
Online applications must be completed for all roles.
Barnardo's Schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment.
Our safer recruitment processes mean that the safety and welfare of the child is paramount at every stage of the process and therefore we adopt rigorous scrutiny in our pre-employment checking. Applicants must be willing to undergo relevant pre-employment checks, including references being taken up prior to interview and for the successful candidate, an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, in line with the Keeping Children Safe in Education Statutory Guidance.
As part of your application, you will need to provide full details of your employment since leaving secondary education, starting with your current or most recent employment first and then by working backwards, including reasons for leaving. Please also include any periods of voluntary work and/or training, providing reasons for any periods not in employment, education or training.
At Barnardo's we believe in children – no matter who they are, what they have done or what they have been through. Please read about our basis and values following the link below. You will be asked questions relating to them as part of the recruitment process for this role.
Barnardo's is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce for staff and volunteers. We actively encourage applications from disabled, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic and male candidates as they are under-represented within Barnardo's.